Because we believe in being good stewards of what God has entrusted to us, we encourage you to thoughtfully consider the advantages of giving stock to First Presbyterian Church. If you own appreciated stock, it is almost always better to contribute stock than cash. By giving appreciated stock to a charitable organization, you avoid paying capital gains tax on the increased value of the stock. Because you are giving to a charitable organization, your gift is deductible for the market value of the stock at the time it was given.
Appreciated Securities Make a Great Gift
Many of our members have found that giving appreciated stock to the church makes very good sense. Please ask your financial advisor if this is a viable option for you.
If you plan to give securities to the church, please notify the Finance Office. You can email, phone 734-662-4466, or complete and mail this letter when you transfer stock to the church. Do not rely on your broker to do so.
First Presbyterian Church's policy is to immediately sell all stock gifts and deposit the proceeds from the sale into the church bank account immediately.
A reminder: you can accelerate your tax deduction and, at the same time, help your church significantly by giving stock before year-end in payment of your pledge for next year. The church will earn interest on the deposited funds and will be able to use your contribution for next year's operating expenses. You, of course, get to take credit for the gift against any tax liability for this year.
Forms / PDFs
- Complete Stock Gift Instructions (pdf)
- Stock Gift Form - for Broker (pdf) - to initiate a stock gift with your broker
- Stock Gift Form - for First Pres (pdf) - to notify First Pres of your Stock Gift
To Give Stock to First Presbyterian Church:
- Notify your broker to transfer a specified number of shares of stock to First Presbyterian Church's account at RW Baird. Complete the Stock Gift Form - for Broker (pdf) form to initiate a stock gift and send to your stock broker.
- Complete the form Stock Gift Form - for First Pres (pdf) and return to First Presbyterian's Finance office to notify them of your Stock Gift.
It is that simple!
The win-win result of giving appreciated stock is:
- First Presbyterian Church receives a gift as good as cash that will be used for God's work.
- Donors receive a charitable tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the stock and avoid capital gains tax on the appreciated value of the stock.