Deacons are ordained officers of the church who provide spiritual comfort and other assistance to regionally-based groups of member families in the church, called chapels. A large group of chapels forms a Quadrant.
Deacon’s responsibilities include:
- Attend a monthly meeting to share information about church activities, plan events, grow in faith and fellowship, and gain valuable resources for their ministry.
- Contact members regularly by phone call, email, and visits to build community, lend support, share information, or ascertain needs. Deacons share relevant and appropriate information about church members with the pastoral staff so that all feel cared for in their time of need. With the staff, deacons “rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.”
- Provide support at the time of birth of a new baby with a home visit, rosebud, and resource gift bag including hand-knit baby blanket. Deacons also act as baptism hosts for families presenting infants for baptism, lending help at the morning worship service and providing support.
- Welcome new members to the church and their chapel by attending the new member breakfasts held four times a year (when we are able to meet in person again) and remaining in consistent contact with new members of First Pres.
- Provide support during hospitalization or bereavement through cards, visits, meals and errands during convalescence. Deacons also access our Helping Hands or Stephen Ministry groups as needed.
- Work with our church elders to serve communion at our weekly and monthly communion services (deliver communion kits when not meeting together in person).
- Deliver flowers from our worship service weekly, and special plants during holiday times, to our members in need, those grieving, or those with special birthdays or joys.
- Hold special services of worship several times a year at local care facilities.
- Get to know other deacons and church officers, modeling good ties of fellowship and friendship for our church members.
To learn or verify your chapel number and deacon’s name, contact the Rev. Melissa Anne Rogers, at email@example.com, or 662-4466, ext. 390.
To find out more about being a Deacon, click here.
QUADS - Chapels and Deacons
BOARD OF DEACON EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP
QUAD A, QUAD A Leader Jan Fisher
Quadrant A is the membership of our church that includes Northeast Ann Arbor, and the North and East areas outside of Ann Arbor, including Pinckney, Hamburg, Barton Hills, and Dexter.
QUAD B - QUAD B LEADER: Ann Andrus
Quadrant B is the area immediately surrounding our church, including the University of Michigan.
QUAD C - QUAD C LEADER: Kathy Hillig
Quadrant C is predominantly the west side of Ann Arbor.
QUAD D - QUAD D LEADER: Carol Downton
Quadrant D Quadrant D includes Ypsilanti, Saline, Brooklyn, Chelsea, Belleville, Milan, Grass Lake, Manchester, Tecumseh, Gregory, Northville, Dearborn, Farmington Hills, Livonia, Novi, Plymouth, Canton, Willis, Lansing, Flint, Howell, Brighton, South Lyon, Whitmore Lake, and other outlying areas.