You already belong, of course — for all are welcome at First Pres, and membership is not required to participate in our ministries. However, by becoming a member formally, you have voice and vote in congregational meetings, and can express to us your commitment to First Pres to be an active part. Your joining allows us to support you more fully and help you stay engaged and grow in faith.
We ask all those who wish to join to attend a Fast-Track to Membership class, offered multiple times throughout the year. This is a time to get to know First Pres’ ministries, missions, programs and staff much better!
Fast-Track to Membership Zoom Link on Designated Sundays – Zoom https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84143125355
- Sunday 6/13
- Sunday 7/11
- Sunday 8/15
May the Spirit move you there! After completing the class, those who wish to join more formally are able to do so on a upcoming Sunday. During the worship service at 9:30 a.m. you will be introduced to the congregation, given a special blessing and welcome by the minister, and asked the questions of membership.
The questions of membership are:
- Who is your Lord and Savior? Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior.
- Do you trust him? I do.
- Do you intend to be his disciple, to obey his Word, and to show his love? I do.
- Will you be a faithful member of this congregation, giving of yourself in every way, and will you seek the fellowship of the church wherever you may be? I will.
Individuals may join the church by Profession of Faith and Baptism (for those who have never been baptized), by Reaffirmation of Faith (for those who are not currently active members of another Christian church), or by Transfer of Church Letter (for those on the active roll of another church.) Individuals may also choose to join as an Affiliate Member, meant for those in Ann Arbor on a short-term basis who are active church members elsewhere. Especially appropriate for college students, it carries all the privileges of active membership except the right to vote in congregational meetings and hold church office.
Forms / Handouts
- New Member Class Information Form - This form helps us in multiple ways: in creating or updating your information for our church records; in learning how we can best serve you as you join our official membership; and in providing us a way to start getting to know one another.
- New Member Class Handout - Information about First Pres: who we are, our ministries, church membership questions, how we are governed, etc.