You already belong, of course — for all are welcome at First Pres, and membership is not required to participate in our ministries. However, by becoming a member formally, you have voice and vote in congregational meetings, and express to us your commitment to First Pres to be an active part. Your joining allows us to support you more fully and help you stay engaged and grow in faith. To join, attend a Fast Track meeting online (20 minutes) on either Sunday, January 3 or Sunday, January 17. You will get to know a few of our elders and staff in a brief time together after worship. May the Spirit move you there!
You are also invited to attend the New Member Class on Sunday, January 10, from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m., a time to get to know First Pres’ ministries, missions, programs and staff much better! Hope to see you there! Questions? Contact Rev. Rogers at email@example.com.
- Fast-Track to Membership – January 3 or January 17 at Noon via Zoom https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84143125355
- New Member Class – January 10 at 11:00 a.m. via Zoom https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87356165116
We ask all those who wish to join to attend a new member's class, offered multiple times throughout the year. After completing the class those who wish to join formally will do on a subsequent Sunday. There will be an 8 a.m. new member breakfast before the 9:30 a.m. worship service. At the breakfast, individuals wishing to join are introduced to the Session elders, deacons, and sponsors chosen to help guide them in their first year of membership. Your family and special guests are invited to this joyful feast, as well! In the worship service at 9:30, you will be introduced to the congregation, given a special blessing and welcome by the minister, and asked the questions of membership.
The questions of membership are:
- Who is your Lord and Savior? Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior.
- Do you trust him? I do.
- Do you intend to be his disciple, to obey his Word, and to show his love? I do.
- Will you be a faithful member of this congregation, giving of yourself in every way, and will you seek the fellowship of the church wherever you may be? I will.
Individuals may join the church by Profession of Faith and Baptism (for those who have never been baptized), by Reaffirmation of Faith (for those who are not currently active members of another Christian church), or by Transfer of Church Letter (for those on the active roll of another church.) Individuals may also choose to join as an Affiliate Member, meant for those in Ann Arbor on a short-term basis who are active church members elsewhere. Especially appropriate for college students, it carries all the privileges of active membership except the right to vote in congregational meetings and hold church office.
Forms / Handouts
- New Member Class Information Form - This form helps us in multiple ways: in creating or updating your information for our church records; in learning how we can best serve you as you join our official membership; and in providing us a way to start getting to know one another.
- New Member Class Handout - Information about First Pres: who we are, our ministries, church membership questions, how we are governed, etc.