First Presbyterian Church of Ann Arbor, Michigan, seeks an organist to join a dynamic worship team serving an historic church with a vital tradition of creative ministry in music and the arts.
Located on the edge of the University of Michigan campus, First Presbyterian Church is a 1500-member congregation of the PCUSA that seeks to serve God, the community, and the world, taking a variety of musical styles and modes and employing them to enrich our worship and ministries. Corporate worship is the central act of our faith community. The church holds three Sunday morning worship services (a communion at 8:00 a.m. and regular services at 9:30 and 11:00 a.m.) as well as special services throughout the year. The church has two pipe organs: a 3-manual, 42-rank instrument in the main sanctuary built by Schoenstein & Co. in 2001 (designer: Jack Bethards); and a smaller, two-manual, 3-rank Moller in Monteith Hall, where chapel services are held.
This is a part-time exempt position. The organist plays the organ and piano for the regularly scheduled 9:30 and 11:00 a.m. weekly worship services, a monthly Taize service, and special seasonal services throughout the liturgical year. Additional responsibilities include playing for weekly Chancel Choir rehearsals (Thursdays, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.) and serving as an accompanist for ensembles, soloists, and instrumentalists, and the primary organist for weddings and memorial services.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in music required, with concentration in organ performance
- Graduate degree in organ and/or advanced training in church music desirable
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as an organist for a large congregation, with proven skills as a worship leader from the organ bench
- Deep knowledge of sacred organ repertoire and familiarity with multiple styles and genres; ability to adapt choral accompaniments, including orchestral reductions, for the organ
- An understanding of the organist’s role as a worship leader from both a musical and a theological perspective; an understanding of music as an offering in worship and performance
- Proven ability to work collegially, as part of an interdisciplinary worship team, and to understand that collaboration is crucial to a church organist’s success
Send a letter of application, complete professional resume, and the names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org; or to Organist Search, First Presbyterian Church, 1432 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.
Deadline: November 15, 2020. Review of applications begins immediately, but applications received before deadline will receive full consideration.
For further Information, contact Mr. David VanderMeer, Minister of Music and Fine Arts, First Presbyterian Church of Ann Arbor. Email: email@example.com. Phone: (734) 662-4466 (church office); (404) 808-4373 (mobile).
Parish Nurse & Wellness Coordinator
First Presbyterian Church of Ann Arbor, Michigan, seeks a parish nurse/wellness coordinator to join a dynamic worship team serving an historic church with a vital tradition of creative ministry.
This is a part-time exempt position. The Parish Nurse & Wellness Coordinator leads in identifying and meeting the congregation's health and health counseling needs. This position promotes the church's health and wellness ministry and maintains effective relationships with those who could be served by the role. The position interprets the health and wellness program to the congregation through a presence in worship and other gatherings, bulletin, newsletter, worship announcements and other promotional media, including brochures and the Annual Report to the congregation. The role collaborates with Deacons, Stephen Ministers, health and wellness ministry advisory and older adult ministry committees.
- Parish Nurse Training within 1 year of hire
- Minimum 3 years in clinical nursing, public health and/or geriatric nursing
- Extensive knowledge of HIPAA rules as well as community resources, services, approximate costs and insurance options
- Strong nursing assessment and networking skills
- BSN in nursing
- Current State of Michigan Nursing License
Send a letter of application (cover letter), complete professional resume, and a completed First Presbyterian Job Application including the names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org; or to Parish Nurse / Wellness Coordinator Search, First Presbyterian Church, 1432 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.
Deadline: December 15, 2020. Review of applications begins immediately, but applications received before deadline will receive full consideration.
For further Information, contact Parish Nurse Search Committee Co-chairs: Tara Shantz or Sharon P Sheldon. Email: email@example.com.