Interested in making a donation to the First Pres Resident Ministry Program? Donate online here.
Preparing Pastors - Serving God
For more than a decade, those of us engaged in the life of First Presbyterian have been blessed by the presence of an unusual group of young ministers who have come to our church to learn and to be inspired, and in the process, have inspired us and taught us.
It is difficult to think about what First Presbyterian and the church means to all of us without including the resident ministers. They bring us the enthusiasm of youth, the imagination of ministers new to their calling, a boundless faith in the future, and great joy in their work. They have become part of the spiritual and temporal fabric of our church and have transformed themselves and all of us in the process.
Now, 12 years into a grand experiment that has succeeded well beyond our expectations, we are being called upon to make the program our own. After consultations with the Lilly Endowment, those at First Pres who formed this ministry, members of the congregation, and a newly formed capital campaign committee, an initiative is underway to establish a permanent $5 million endowment that will sustain the program in perpetuity.
The Resident Ministry program continues to be a vitalizing experience for all of us, from young to old. Without the Resident Ministry program, our pastoral mission could not have been as strong and vibrant as it has been and continues to be.
While your continued support of the church's annual operating budget is essential to sustaining our mission, at this moment we are called upon to do even more.
We hope you will be able to join with other members of the congregation in this important effort at a pivotal time in the life of the church.
How Can I Help?
To make a pledge, please download and fill out the commitment form: Resident Ministers Endowment Commitment Card (pdf)
Please return the form to the Church Office or by mail to:
First Presbyterian Church of Ann Arbor
c/o Finance Office
1432 Washtenaw Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Interested in learning more?
View the following materials or read on for more valuable information.
For more information view the First Pres Residency Program page. You can also
Endowing Resident Ministry:
Preparing Pastors, Serving God
- Endowment Detail: The endowment will support the current resident ministry model in use at FPC: 3 Resident Ministers per cohort and 1 Resident Ministry Coordinator on staff. First Presbyterian and the Lilly Foundation agree that this model is key to program success, based on optimal exposure of Residents to staff and programming.
- Total Annual Budget: $250,000
- First Presbyterian Church to fund administrative expenses for program out of annual budgets: $25,000
- Endowment required for full funding of resident staff members: $5,000,000 (assumes 5% principal income generation.)
Objective of The First Presbyterian Church Residency Program
To prepare the next generation of pastoral leaders; to assist new pastors in making the transition from seminary student to full-time pastor.
- Worship Planning, Leadership and Preaching
- Pastoral Care
- Ministry Rotations (Administration, Adult Education, Campus Ministry,Children’s Education, Summer Church Camp, Congregational Life, Evangelism, Outreach, Mission, Presbytery, Youth Ministry, Stewardship)
- Of 15 former residents (as of April 2013), 14 served in parish ministry (93% of Residents)
- 12 continue today in Parish Ministry with 1 serving as a University Chaplain.
- First Presbyterian Church has been able to leverage the Residency program to expand ministry and outreach across all areas of church operations. The Resident ministers expand the ordained staff by 60% from 5 to 8.
- The residents have both enriched us and taught us the human aspects of developing as ministers.
Please contact the Church Office with any questions you might have. Church Office Phone: 734-662-4466