The Shelter Association of Washtenaw County (SAWC) is pleased to share the following summary of the winter Rotating Shelter Program.
First Presbyterian again played an important role in 2020-21, though different, due to COVID. Multiple members of our congregation contributed to the program by serving as evening hosts, overnight hosts, by preparing nutritious hot meals at their homes, or by their donations of winter clothing or financial support.
As the coordinators of our church’s Rotating Shelter Program, we urge you to review the message and numbers below; examples of a job well done. Know the comfort this program brought to so many, pray that our church continues to respond with equal vigor each winter when the need is greatest.
Marcey Terrien & Jim Peggs
The SAWC has a mission of ending homelessness one person at a time – and your support helps us to do just that! Look at what has been accomplished by the SAWC members during a pandemic:
- We served over 1,300 vulnerable individuals
- We sheltered over 700 clients
- We conducted over 100,000 health screenings
- We distributed over 55,000 masks
- We facilitated over 5,000 COVID tests
- Less than 1% of our population reported positive cases
- We have over 120 clients receive their COVID vaccination
- We managed 5 shelter locations to keep our clients safe and socially spaced
- We helped 172 people find long term sustainable housing
Our work is not done, but we can manage it better together in 2022!
Rotating Shelter Returns to First Pres in January 2022!
First Pres will give shelter and provide a warm sleeping space from January 3-16 for up to 25 men directed here by the Shelter Association of Washtenaw County (SAWC). We need and welcome your help this year. We are not able to serve hot meals, but the following donations would provide so much:
- Food: pre-packaged snack foods, juice boxes, bottled water dropped off at the Welcome Center.
- Clothing: NEW warm outerwear, sweaters, shirts, socks (in original packaging and tags)
- Time: Sign up on the link below to serve as an evening host (6:30-9:00pm) and/or an overnight host (8:30pm-7:00am with a short shift at watch-duty between 10pm-6am): https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040f4aa8a62ea3fe3-first
- Financial: Make a designated donation here: (https://secure.myvanco.com/YM88/home)
Know the comfort this program has brought to so many. Please help First Pres to continue to serve in this way again in January! Questions? Contact co-chairs, Marcey Terrien (480-833-7019) or Jim Peggs (734-646-9412).