Lent is a season traditionally marked by sacrifice, but after a year that has forced us to sacrifice so much, what if instead we viewed Lent as a season marked by compassion and fullness through personal devotion and study? Drawing from Scripture and Henri Nouwen's Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life, we will take a critical look at ourselves and explore the various ways Jesus is calling us to lives of compassion.
Join us in two different settings (or one of our Spiritual Practices each week):
Small groups where participants will gather by Zoom and explore Compassion in our lives through Henri Nouwen’s book entitled Compassion: A Reflection on a Christian Life in conjunction with Bible texts related to compassion.
Sunday morning sessions of Exploring the Faith where participants, led by church pastors, will explore the meaning of compassion in our lives and engage in spiritual practices together.
Small Groups - Get to know others and study compassion during Lenten study fellowship groups February 21 through March 28.
- Tuesday 10 am, leader Kathryn Wistrom
- Tuesday 7pm, leader Alice Holderby
- Sunday 3 pm, T2A2, various leaders
- Sunday 7pm, leader Olivier Jolliet
This accessible and thin book is available for purchase. Since we do not meet at church, please order your book directly (why not a used book to limit environmental impacts) at e.g. thriftbook or other providers
Exploring the Faith – 11:30 am by Zoom
5 Sunday sessions led by church pastors
- Feb 21 - Introducing Henri Nouwen – Rev. Jay Sanderford
- Feb 28 – Spritual Practices – Rev. Jay Sanderford
- March 7 – Spiritual Practices – Rev. Andrew Frazier
Are you in need of a deeper spirituality? Are you looking for ways to strengthen your current spiritual practice? Do you know what it means to have a spiritual practice or to cultivate your personal spirituality? Resident Minister Rev. Andrew Frazier leads us in a discussion of spirituality and spiritual practice. The first session will attempt to help you define for yourself what spirituality is and introduce you to a number of potential spiritual practices.
- March 14 – Rev. Rick Spalding – The Vast Mystery of the Other: Finding Words for Compassion
- March 21 – Spiritual Practices –Rev. Andrew Frazier
- Resident Minister Rev. Andrew Frazier leads us in a discussion of our experiences based on the spiritual practices you chose; the challenges we faced, and the insights we gained.